Not sure what it is about the summer, but sandwiches make for a great meal. Sandwiches stuffed with some grilled goodness is even better. And everything but the cheese in these BBQ Pork & Pineapple Sandwiches gets a turn on the flame.
BBQ pork and pineapple pair perfectly together- the sweetness of the pineapple helps cool the slight spice from the BBQ pork. Add in some lightly grilled crisp onions and some creamy melted cheese, and we’ve got ourselves the perfect summertime sandwich. Let me tell you, these sandwiches have it all: juicy, sweet pineapple; tender, meaty BBQ pork; crisp grilled onions; creamy, melty, savory swiss cheese; and a soft, toasted bun.
Where are the napkins?
The first thing I like to do is grill the pineapple slices. I used canned slices to keep it easy, but you could certainly use fresh pineapple slices. With your grill nice and hot, grill the pineapple slices for just 1-2 minutes per side. Just enough to get some lightly caramelized grill marks. One of the reasons I like to do this first is the pineapple helps to flavor the grill just a bit, which adds to the flavor of the pork chops when those hit the grate.
Once the pineapple is done, I toss on some red onion for a minute or two. I also like to lightly toast my sandwich buns. To do this, just brush your sandwich buns with a bit of olive oil first, and place them face down right on the grill. They will toast up pretty quickly, just a minute or so. I like to get all my fixings ready first so when the pork is done all I have to do is assemble each sandwich.
Don’t forget about the cheese! My favorite here is swiss cheese, but any good melting cheese would be great.
For these sandwiches, I like to use boneless pork chops. No need for pulled pork here, although that would be just as delicious. The boneless chops keep things simple- just throw on the grill and when the chops are just about finished cooking, baste with your favorite BBQ sauce. I like to use a regular to thick cut chop- makes for a nice, meaty sandwich. And it’s Sweet Baby Rays for me.
Depending on the thickness of your chops, these won’t take long on the grill- no more than 15 minutes total, if that. And then you are ready stack everything in your bun.
I love these sandwiches. The flavors and textures balance out so well. And because these sandwiches have a bit of everything in them, I just serve with some potato chips on the side. It really is a quick summertime meal. You can get everything grilled up and ready to go in less than 20 minutes. These BBQ Pork & Pineapple Sandwiches are juicy, meaty, sweet, spicy, crisp, and creamy.
Want a bite?
- 4 pineapple slices, canned or fresh
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 4 boneless pork chops
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 4 sandwich buns
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Prepare grill with non stick spray and heat grill over medium heat.
- Grill pineapple slices 1-2 minutes per side, until lightly caramelized and set aside.
- Lightly grill onion slices, about 2-3 minutes and set aside.
- Brush inside of sandwich buns with olive oil and grill, face down, for 1-2 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Set aside.
- Season pork chops with salt and pepper. Grill pork chops to desired doneness; depending on thickness, this may take 4-8 minutes per side.
- During the last 2 minutes of grilling, baste with BBQ sauce on each side.
- Assemble sandwiches with a slice of swiss cheese, BBQ pork chop, grilled pineapple, and grilled onion.